Youth Exchange and Study YES Scholarships Program 2021 : Kennedy-Lugar YES Program scholarships, fully funded scholarships for Matric and O-Level students in Pakistan to study at American High Schools in USA and live with American host families for one year. Youth Exchange and Study program is funded by the US government and is open for secondary school students in 39 countries.
High School students will be enrolled for one full academic in American schools in US, and may also be able to participate in co-curricular and extra-curricular activities to develop a full understanding of American culture by interacting with Americans. Since 2003, the Kennedy-Lugar Youth Exchange and Study (YES) program has provided scholarships to 1,274 high school students from all over Pakistan.
- Last Date To Apply : 15th September 2021
- Degree Level : Matric/O’levels
- Coverage : Fully Funded
- Age Limit : 15 To 17 till 15th August 2022
Financial Benefits :
- US Visa Fee
- Boarding and Lodging in the U.S.A.(Residence and Meals)
- School Tuition
- $125 per month stipend.
Eligibility Criteria For Youth Exchange and Study YES Scholarships Program 2021 :
- Pakistani citizen residing in Pakistan
- Students enrolled in 9th or 10th grade or ‘O’ Levels students. (O’ Level 11th graders are not eligible)
- Applicants must be between the ages of 15 – 17 by the start of program (August 15, 2022).
- Minimum 60% marks in all major/core subjects (English, Mathematics, Sciences) in the last examination; overall minimum average 60% marks for the past three years. (Students with a gap year or a repeated year are not eligible.)
- Can communicate in English. Minimum 60% marks in English exam during the past three years (2018-19, 2019-20 and 2020-21).
- Have not traveled to the United States.
- Note: Minimum 60% marks in all subjects in the examination that will be held before departure to the U.S.A. (The annual exams that will be held in 2021). Students will be required to send their mark sheets of the last examination when they receive the mark sheets.
Students who meet the following in addition to the above criteria are likely to be short listed for the final round of selection.
- Pass Entry Test.
- Know and practice Pakistani culture and values, and able to represent the same in the U.S. schools and communities.
- Demonstrate maturity, flexibility, adaptability, good character and scholastic aptitude.
- Willingness to participate in host family’s daily life.
- Record of all necessary immunizations, as outlined in the Final Student Application, before arriving in the U.S.A.
- Demonstrate flexibility and a commitment to promoting cross-cultural understanding.
- Agreement to attend classes as a full-time student and maintain at least a ‘B’ Grade average in American high school.
- Willingness and agreement to abide by the ‘YES Student Rules’ as outlined in the YES Final Application and all other rules and policies during the program.
- Meet U.S. J-1 visa eligibility requirements.
Procedure To Apply :
STEP-1 Preliminary Application
- Students who fulfill the Selection Criteria and agree to the Parent Student Agreement and General Program Rules can apply for the scholarship. They can download the Preliminary Applications from www.yespk.org
- Send the documents through courier SIE office. Female students, students with physical disabilities and students from non-elite and government schools who meet the criteria are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Students who are eligible according to the Selection Criteria but their schools are not interested in forwarding the YES Preliminary Applications can courier their applications independently.
STEP-2 Entry Test :
- After initial Preliminary Application screening, short listed applicants will be notified for YES Orientation and Entry Test through letters and/or e-mails to their addresses mentioned in the Preliminary Applications. (SIE is not responsible for wrong / incomplete or change in addresses.)
STEP-3 Interview and Group Activity:
- Students who pass the Entry Test will be notified via letters for appearing in interview and group activity.
- Students will be required to fill up YES Final Application (attached with the letter) and appear in Interviews. (Students are required to appear on the interview day with completely filled YES Final Application along with required documents.)
STEP-4 Standardized English language test for international students:
- Short listed students after the interviews will be required to take a standardized English language test for international students.
STEP-5 Final Evaluation:
- Final selection of students will be based on Entry Test, Interviews and neatly filled completed YES Final Application with all required documents.
- The finalists will be notified by a letter and Scholarship Acceptance form from the YES program office.